Monday, October 4, 2010

Making your own nail appliques

Okay, so I was planning for my brother's wedding (that is 3 weeks away now), and I came up with a test design for my bridesmaid dress. Being this one:




I took Sephora By OPI's Curve-Aceous, which matches the color of my dress almost exactly, shimmer and all, seeing as how the dress is satin.
I then took my blue, red, orange, yellow, white, and black acrylic craft paints and a fine tip paintbrush, and mixed myself some paints and painted myself a nice artsy sunflower.



... I then realized something. -_-
Try painting something so intricate with your left hand, Jenna. Jeanyus.




Then another idea occurred. Come up with a design of some sort of stick-on handmade designs, so it's still 100% my work, but each design can look equally good on both hands. Genius.
My first idea was to paint clear Scotch tape with the design, then just stick it to my nail and seal it with clear polish... Then I realized that the tape wouldn't have enough texture to hold the paint in place while it was wet, so I thought for a while and came up with a solution I used to do for fun when I was younger: Glue skin.
Anyone ever tried that? Put Elmer's glue on your hand and let it dry, then peel it off and it looks like you're peeling off skin.
Anyway. It was perfect for the idea. It had the texture, an it was thin enough to not look too stickerish and store-bought. So I did that, and over an hour or so, I put layer after layer of white glue on the most immobile part of my arm I could and when it was thick enough, I peeled it off and painted the same sunflower design on it and very carefully cut it out. I then sealed the paint with a layer of clear nail polish and started painting a fake nail. While the polish was still tacky, I stuck the applique onto it and it stayed! So I sealed the whole thing with clear polish, and I was set. All I have to do is test out how it comes off when you want to remove it. I might add pictures of homemade applique tomorrow when I'm not too lazy to get my camera and upload the pictures.

So that's my plan for the wedding. Pre-make the sunflower design so I can just stick them on after I've done the rest of the bridal party's nails.
In fact, if I can do it for all of the party, that would be lovely. I'll have to talk to all of the party and see what they think.

A FEW TIPS ON MAKING YOUR OWN APPLIQUES:
1: After you have your glue base that you layered and peeled off your skin, put it over your nail and outline your nail so that you can see where you're painting your design, and so that if it's off-center, it will fit the curve of your nail.
2: Make sure your glue base is decently thick. The thinner it is, the more easily it will rip.
3: You can use Elmer's Glue-All instead of school glue. It's thicker, but takes longer to dry. On the bright side, it takes less layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment