Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gradient nails!


Okay, so in the last post I covered faded nails, this time, I'm gonna cover gradient nails. This is a new technique that I tried for the first time a few hours ago. I love it, it almost looks airbrushed.

<-- As you see here. (click on the picture for full size)
They're patriotic because this is my weekly painting, and it overlaps with 4th Of July, therefore, it must be red, white and blue.
It took me the longest time to come up with something that I liked. I even did a very time-consuming look, but didn't like it, so I had to take it all off and start over... Me and my indecisiveness. XP

ANYWAY! On to how to do the look.
I had heard of this technique before, but hadn't really felt the need to try it until I was looking on Tumblr and saw this tutorial posted: Gradient Nails
So I decided to give it a whirl. It was simple enough. All you need is:
*Nail polish colors of your choice
*A foundation/cosmetic sponge
*Nail polish remover
*A Q-tip

All you have to do is this:
* Paint your nails a base color... Or not, if you don't want to, it looks just as cool on plain nails.
* Choose the first color of nail polish for your gradient and take your sponge.
* Apply the polish directly to the sponge, or put some of the polish on a flat surface and dip the sponge into it. I prefer to paint it directly onto the sponge because the sponge soaks up the polish, so you would have to keep dipping it over and over... And use the corners for more precise application!
* Begin patting the polish-soaked sponge onto the nail in the area you want your first color on. Mine was the red, and it got all over my fingers, but it still covered nicely. Apply as many coats as you like, I did 2-3 until I was happy with how it looked.
* Repeat with the second color
* Allow the polish on your nails to dry, then top with a topcoat of some sort to smooth the design. I did 2 coats to make it glossy.

There you go, it's that simple! So enjoy, and be sure to link me a picture in the comment section if you try this look! If you leave a comment, check back in a day or so to see if I responded. ^-^

P.S: I got more Del Sol nail polish on my recent trip to Palm Springs! I got Island Fever, Foxy, Surfer Girl, and a backup of another color I like: Secret Crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment